HELSINKI: Struggling mobile phone firm Nokia unveiled on Wednesday its first three basic phone models with large touch screens, filling a gap in its suite of products.
Consumer demand for such devices has been rising fast especially in emerging markets. Last year 105 million low-end touch screen handsets were sold globally, according to Strategy Analytics.
said its Asha 305 model would go on sale this month for 63 euros, excluding subsidies and taxes. The Asha 306 and Asha 311 models will go on sale next quarter for 68 euros and 92 euros, respectively. PTI
BoI opens zonal office in Panjim
PANJIM: The new Zonal Office of Bank of India at Patto, Panjim was inaugurated at the hands of Alok Misra, chairman and managing director of the bank, today.
Misra was in Goa to review the bank's business.
Over 105 years old, the bank has a network of 4050 branches comprising 4001 Indian branches and 49 foreign branches and offices.
All branches of the bank are fully computerized and domestic branches are under core banking. Bank of India handles over 4 million transactions per day.
The bank's global business is presently more than Rs 6,02,000 crore consisting deposits around Rs 3,39,000 crore and advances over Rs 2,63,000 crore. The operating profit of the bank stood at Rs 6,694 crore for year ended March 31, 2012 while net profit was Rs 2,678 crore. The bank has a Capital Adequacy of 11.95% and Net NPA of 1.47%. Credit Deposit ratio of the domestic business of the bank is around 79%.
The bank has around 4% share in the domestic business and enjoys the patronage of over 540 lakh customers. The bank has aggressive plan for expanding its branch network to over 4300 by March, 2013. The total number of ATMs, which is 1706 at present, is also to be increased to 3000 by March, 2013.
The bank has lead district responsibilities in 48 districts of the country. The bank's rural and semi urban branches constitute 64% of branch network. The bank also has ambitious plan for implementing financial inclusion initiative. Under the plan, the bank will engage 15000 business correspondents by March, 2013. Similarly, total number of no-frill accounts is to be increased from over 63 lakh at present to 125 lakhs by March, 2013.
Apart from extending financial support to different segments of priority sector, the bank is actively associated with various social initiatives for upliftment of the masses.
In Goa, the bank has a wide presence with 45 branches, out of which 42% are located in rural areas and remaining 58% in semi-urban areas. For providing banking services on wider scale, the Bank has set up a zonal office in Goa.
In Goa, the Bank plans to enlarge the Branch network during FY 2012-2013 with proposed addition of around 5 new branches. At present 23 ATMs are operational in Goa and the bank has plans to add 12 ATMs during the current year, taking the total to 35.
The bank's total business mix in Goa is Rs 6,204 crore (Deposits Rs 5,061 crore and advances Rs 1,143 crore) which constitutes about 1.4% of domestic business of the bank.
In Goa as much as Rs 541 crore has been lent to the priority sector, which constitutes 47% of the total advances of the state. Advances to Agro, SME sectors and Retail credit'constitute major share in the bank's advances in Goa, in addition to financing the corporate sector.
Under financial inclusion drive, 22,716 no-frill accounts have been opened and 6 business correspondents have been engaged in Goa. The bank has covered eight villages in Goa under 100% financial inclusion. During the current year, the Financial Inclusion drive will be further expanded in the State.