PANJIM: While the state government has decided to regularize houses in Comunidade land, constructed after 2000, interestingly over last five years, almost 402 illegal structures have been constructed by encroachers on these lands.
What raises eyebrows is that government has failed to initiate action in almost 60
per cent of the cases, even though these community lands constitute the very essence of Goan identity, since these lands were enriched and cultivated by the very first settlers in Goa. The remaining 40 per cent of the cases are stated to be sub judice.
In a written reply tabled on the floor of the house on Friday , Revenue Minister Francis D’Souza has said that Tivim constituency has the maximum number of illegal structures on Comunidade land.
As per the information provided to in the assembly, Tivim has 41 structures, followed by Shiroda 35, Aldona 32, Valpoi 31, Madcaim 29, Dabolim 28, Mapusa 27, Priol 15, Canacona 14, Calangute 12, St Andre 11, Nuvem 10, Margao 9, Cumbharjua 7, Quepem 6, Curtorim 5, Saligao 3, Siolim 2 and Mandrem 1.
In almost all cases the land has been encroached for residential purposes, except in Nuvem where religious structures have been constructed. In case of Quepem, the land has been encroached for mining of minor minerals.
The government has stated that all the cases pertaining to Calangute are pending in the civil court at Mapusa while in the case of Siolim and Tivim, the matter in pending in the High Court. The Mapusa cases are also pending in the Panjim district court.
As far as the cases of Aldona, Valpoi, Saligao, Cumbharjua, St Andre, Marcaim and Mandrem are concerned, the government has said that no action has been initiated in this matter.
In some cases, government has issued notices, however no action has been taken thereafter. The government has also failed to provide a specific reason for not initiating action.