How Goa’s dotors juggled the medical and political theatres with elan
There is another important connect that doctors have. Many in the medical field in
Goa have gone to become stalwarts in politics. Goa has had two full fledged
practicing doctors going onto becoming Chief Ministers. The affable and wily
Dotor Wilfred D Souza, known as the fox of Saligao, who was a master surgeon,
in the Operating Theatre, as well as metaphorically, the corridors of politics.
then there was the very popular but simple Doctor from Cansaulim Dr Luis proto
Barboza. Advocate Radharao Gracias in a piece in Goa News “Dr Barbosa, you did
not know”, wrote
I see it Dr.Barbosa was no politician. He was a doctor. And this much is
obvious. For his son Noel is also a doctor. And a wonderfully caring one known
to be available to patients at low tide or high noon. Had Dr.Barbosa been a
politician, his son would have been one too. By now, he would be a contender
for a ticket somewhere !
After Dr.Barbosa said bye to
politics or rather politics said bye to Dr.Barbosa, he retired to his farm.
Nothing surprising. After all most politicians do so. But Dr.Barbosa retired to
his ancestral land at the foot of Remedios Hill in Cuelim”
The current Chief Minister of Goa,
Pramod Sawant, is also an Ayurveda practitioner by profession.
Dr Jack Sequeira,the Father of
Goa’s opinion poll, was above all a great doctor, a fine tradition followed by
his daughter and is grand daughter
Wilfred Mesquita, has been minister and Goa’s NRI Commissioner and the Vice
President of the BJP, and above all has a great penchant for remembering and
witnessing Goa’s political history unfold from very close quarters
- When video couldn’t kill the radio, still the star
- A VENTURE INTO THE NEW PHASE OF MARVEL UNIVERSE
- Celebrating ten years of great Pan Asian food
- Where’s the josh, Goans?
- We should be gender neutral now
- Goans worried as goondagiri spirals, with locals attacking locals
- REMEMBERING THE MAN WHO LIVED FOR ROMI KONKANI
- UNDERSTANDING PILES, FISSURES AND FISTULAS
- Monsoon poetry session sings ‘Paus piso
- SUNDAY STORIES, IN A GARAGE
- WHEN FREE SPIRITS LIVE & DIE IN CHAINS: THE MANY SCARLETT’S OF GOA
- CREATIVITY & EFFICIENCY: TWO PETALS THAT MAKE THE GULAB AWARDS SPECIAL