Praying to the mother of Mary
The feast of St Anne, famously known as ‘Touxanchem Fest’ (cucumber feast) here, was celebrated at the Church of St Anne at Talaulim, Tiswadi. St Anne is the Patroness of childless couples, grandmothers, grandfathers and pregnant women. The 17th century church is a major example of the Portuguese Baroque architecture built in Portuguese India and is considered the largest surviving monument in Asia as the church construction work began in 1557.
On the feast day, devotees flocked to the church in serpentine queues with candles, garlands and cucumbers in hand to pray for a suitable bride or groom while married couples petitioned for a child to the mother of Mother Mary. Many couples who were blessed with a child were also called forward to give thanks and present their testimony after the Mass.
- Two oppressed sisters and a tale of class and co-dependency
- Goa College of Arts display at IFFI 2018
- Goan ‘Seetee’ at IFFI 2018
- IFFI 2018 SCREENS ‘SOORMA’, THE STORY OF A REAL-LIFE HERO
- Masterclass with Mr India
- Monte '68 to reunite 50 years after school
- Snickers and stickers in amchi bhas
- Ever Upward: Farewell, Stan Lee
- A fashionable grand finale
- When varied art finds a common ground
- Serenity at its best
- Ecclesiastical Goa – An exhibition
................... Advertisements ...................