Praying to the mother of Mary
The feast of St Anne, famously known as ‘Touxanchem Fest’ (cucumber feast) here, was celebrated at the Church of St Anne at Talaulim, Tiswadi. St Anne is the Patroness of childless couples, grandmothers, grandfathers and pregnant women. The 17th century church is a major example of the Portuguese Baroque architecture built in Portuguese India and is considered the largest surviving monument in Asia as the church construction work began in 1557.
On the feast day, devotees flocked to the church in serpentine queues with candles, garlands and cucumbers in hand to pray for a suitable bride or groom while married couples petitioned for a child to the mother of Mother Mary. Many couples who were blessed with a child were also called forward to give thanks and present their testimony after the Mass.
- Goexit: Exodus rush from Goa to beat Brexit deadline
- What’s next for Goexiters, after Britain finally has to leave
- Porn ‘no?’ graphy
- Cricket helps bars and sports bars score this IPL season
- EASTER MAY NOT BE THE LAST HURRAH FOR GOA’S TOURISM
- Music… the best way to worship God
- The elephant in Goa’s nightlife space: Code of conduct
- GOENCHOAVAZ PROVIDES PASSPORT TO A NEW STAGE
- GIM hosts seventh edition of ‘Anveshan’
- GOA COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING STUDENTS WIN GOA QUALIFIERS OF RED BULL PAPER WINGS 2019
- VISTARA – Expanding all horizons
- Creativity on display