Remembering Albert S Carvalho
Curchorem Ravindra Bhavan is organising a programme, titled ‘Ügddas’, to pay tribute to late Albert S Carvalho, a professional actor, playwright and director of tiatr/drama of yesteryears. At the event, tiatrist Telles Moraes and Peter de Xelvona will be felicitated for their work on the Konkani stage. “This will be followed by a musical programme by Lenoy Gomendes and group,” informs Convenor Jyoti D’Costa. Carvalho was born on October 1, 1938 to Sebastiao and Santana Carvalho in Curchorem. He worked tirelessly on the Konkani stage to uplift the standard of tiatr and wrote and directed many Konkani tiatrs that received much appreciation. His most famous tiatrs include ‘Nitik Sampoddlo’, ‘Sousaracho Mhojer Visvas Nam’ and ‘Hospital’. Carvalho never compromised on the stage setting. “His writings and acting on the stage had a lasting impact on the viewers. One of the positive aspects that were noticed in his tiatrs was that he always use to announce before the commencement of his tiatr that songs would not be repeated on audience demand/request and would finishing the tiatr within the given time frame.” says Paxiao Pereira, a fan of his work, who further informs that the prompting of dialogues were not allowed in his tiatrs and for that reason printed books of script were given to every artist in his troupe so that they could memorise their dialogues well in advance. Stalwarts of tiatr like Mike Mehta, late Remmie Colaco, late M Boyer and late Jacinto Vaz also performed in his tiatrs. He introduced the highly talented actor and singer Jose Rod for the first time on the professional stage as a child artist. Besides writing and directing tiatr, he was also gifted with the talent of acting. He died on November 24, 1995. ‘Ugddas’ aims at recognising his contribution immensely in the field of tiatr.
- Reviving Konkani songs for the future generation
- New textbook to help teaching English as a Second Language
- The journey of tiatr, across the seven seas
- Get set for an evening of fashion
- ‘Eric the Ark’ to tell a story relevant through time
- Winners of State Art Exhibition declared. Works to be exhibited
- ‘Prawns’ bags Best Film in Goa Short Film Festival
- Konkani film wins Best Regional Film at Karnataka State Film Awards
- Netflix cancels ‘Luke Cage’ and ‘Iron Fist,’ jeopardizing Marvel’s ambitious superhero project
- The way Goans remember Goa
- Chubby Cheeks Spring Valley High School hosts Science Exhibition SPARK 2018
- Sean Kingston to perform live in Goa at Oktoberfest Goa
................... Advertisements ...................