MARGAO: Citizens have raised serious concerns over the setting of fires to burn waste in the commercial town of Margao, after unknown miscreants set fire to the dried up trunk of a fallen mango tree inside the Aga Khan Children’s Park (Margao Municipal Garden) late Thursday night.
“It's a shame that the public in Margao are still lighting fires in the open without scant caution and respect to nature and the possible health hazards, thereby being the main cause of fires in the State,” lamented Cedric da Costa, a Margao local.
He stated that Goans seem to have learnt no lessons and continue to go about setting open fires in the most casual manner, thereby putting everyone at risk, despite the past few weeks of raging fires.
The fire in the garden, located near a petrol pump at the town’s entrance, burned for more than an hour before firefighters were able to douse it using a fire tender.
“With the strong winds we are experiencing these days, there were high chances of the unattended fire growing out of control. There is an open fire of dry leaves and other waste lit up almost every evening inside the Aga Khan Park, despite alert citizens and a few Margao Municipal councillors raising the issue continuously,” said Da Costa.
“Even medical waste is openly burnt at various locations in and around Margao,” he lamented.