PORVORIM: The Central government has sanctioned nearly Rs 200 crores for tourism infrastructure and promotion including promoting Goa as a perfect wedding destination, Tourism Minister Dilip Parulekar told the State Legislative Assembly on Monday.
Parulekar told the House that the first installment of Rs 20 crores has been released to the State, of the newly sanctioned Rs 100 crores by Centre last week.
“In the initial stage, we found it very difficult to get central funding as failure on part of previous government to submit the utilisation certificates for Rs 14.6 crore amounts released between 2007-09,” Minister said.
“However, now we have managed to get Rs 200 crores. Last year Rs 100 crores were sanctioned and now another Rs 100 crores are sanctioned last week,” he said replying to joint question tabled by BJP MLA Pramod Sawant and Michael Lobo and MGP MLA Lavoo Mamledar.
Parulekar said that government’s focus now is towards promoting heritage, hinterland tourism and Goa as wedding destination.
He said that Cabinet has already approved handling over Aguada jail to Goa Tourism Development Corporation, which will be developed as heritage tourism site, wedding destination and also for helicopter joy ride.
“The consultant is currently in process of drafting the Detail Project report,” he informed the House.
