NH66 work sparks Chinchinim showdown

A fresh attempt to push ahead with NH66 expansion at Dandeavaddo, Chinchinim, without resolv ing the villagers’ decade-old demand for a bypass was halted late Thursday after an angry confrontation between residents and authorities es calated through the day. Heavy machinery was brought to the site in the afternoon, and locals were initially told that soil test ing was being carried out. By evening, however, drill ing work had begun near the Dandeavaddo junction, with residents alleging that the authorities had moved ahead despite years of rep resentations to the State and Central governments, including to Union Min ister for Road Transport and Highways Nitin Gadka ri, Chief Minister Pramod Sawant and successive PWD Ministers, as well as assur ances that their concerns would be considered. The development trig gered strong reactions from local representatives, who said the work had begun despite years of representa tions and assurances.

Chinchinim-Deussua panch member and former sarpanch Valentino Barreto said the people’s voice had been ignored. “The department has overtaken the government. There is no value for the people’s voice,” Barreto said, adding that the authorities were opting for what he termed short-term planning despite land being available for better planning for future generations. Former Chinchinim-Deussua Sarpanch Frank Viegas said residents had been demanding a bypass as a safer and more practical alternative and recalled that the CM had as sured them that the matter would be considered. However, he said they were still awaiting a clear written response from the CM and PWD Minister while the authorities had proceeded with pile testing. “More than 10 years of efforts and representations can not simply be ignored,” Viegas said, demanding an imme diate halt to further work until the issue was properly re viewed. He also sought a written response from the CM and PWD Minister on the demand for a bypass and proper consul tation with affected residents and stakeholders, including the joint site inspection sought by the panchayat. “Dandeavaddo is not against development. We are against development that ignores the people,” Viegas said.

- Advertisement -

Add as preferred source on Google

If you enjoyed reading this article, you can help support our journalism by adding OHeraldo as a preferred source.

Velim MLA Cruz Silva said the beginning of the work had turned the residents’ long-standing fears into reality. “The people were taken for a ride, and today the very fear they have been expressing for years is becoming a re ality,” Silva said, adding that he would continue pursuing the concerns of Dandeavaddo residents with the author ities. Chinchinim-Deussua Sarpanch Gerson Gomes said the panchayat had sought demarcation from the PWD but had received no reply. He said the bypass proposal had been taken up with Gadkari, the CM and past and present PWD Ministers. “We have met Gadkari twice and personally submitted our demand for a bypass. With the Union Minister expect ed to return to Goa in September for the inauguration of the Porvorim flyover, we hope he will once again take note of this long-pending issue.

About a year ago, the panchayat and the present MLA also took the CM to the site, following which he assured us that he would look into the matter,” Gomes asserted. “We still live in hope that better sense will prevail,” Gomes said, adding that the panchayat would again meet the CM and PWD Minister. The situation took a dramatic turn in the evening when heavy drilling work began near the Dandeavaddo junction. Gomes said vibrations from the activity were affecting nearby houses, while the machinery and work also led to traffic congestion along the highway.

Local residents, panchayat representatives, Silva and others then intervened and got the work stopped. Gomes said he contacted Gaude, whom he identified as a PWD National Highways official, and was informed that a team would visit the site on Friday to review the matter. GOACAN coordinator Roland Martins was also at the site when he noticed heavy machinery being used for drilling along the side of NH66 near the Dandeavaddo junction at around 7 pm. He questioned the contractor about the nec essary work order and, when it was not produced, asked that the work be stopped. Martins then spoke to Pritesh Naik, SE, PWD NH, who, according to GOACAN, said he was not aware that the work had commenced and assured that no work would be al lowed to continue until the required safety measures were in place.

Silva, Chinchinim panch member Sharmila Gracias and Gomes were also present at the spot. GOACAN said Martins requested them not to permit the work to restart without a work order being produced and basic safety measures being enforced. GOACAN said it would raise the issue of the work un dertaken on NH66 at Chinchinim, along with concerns over mandatory road safety measures, at the District Road Safety Committee meeting on Friday, August 21, under the chairmanship of South Goa District Collector Egna Cleetus

- Advertisement -
Share This Article