Friday, Aug 21, 2026
  • GOA
  • SPORTS
  • Goa
  • CAFE
  • govt
  • EDITORIAL
  • EDIT
  • PEOPLE EDIT
Search
ePaper
Voice of Goa - Since 1900
O Heraldo, Goa’s oldest newspaper
Explore by Topics
Heraldgoa White Logo
  • Home
  • GOA
  • GOA HISTORY
  • SPORTS
  • CAFE
  • EDIT
    • EDITORIAL
    • OPINIONS
    • PEOPLE EDIT
    • UPFRONT
  • POLL
  • GLOBE & NATION
  • JOBS
  • OBITUARIES
Reading: How’s the joke? Atal Setu is being ‘repaired’ again under a ‘defect’ clause, but GSIDC and contractor aren’t being held to account for the ‘defect’
Font ResizerAa
O HeraldoO Heraldo
  • Home
  • GOA
  • GOA HISTORY
  • SPORTS
  • CAFE
  • EDIT
  • POLL
  • GLOBE & NATION
  • JOBS
  • OBITUARIES
Search
  • GOA
  • CAFE
  • SPORTS
  • VIDEOS
  • OBITUARIES
Follow US
© 2026 Herald Goa. All Rights Reserved.
Developed by: BLACK HOLE STUDIO
GOA

How’s the joke? Atal Setu is being ‘repaired’ again under a ‘defect’ clause, but GSIDC and contractor aren’t being held to account for the ‘defect’

According to GSIDC, the flagship cable-stayed bridge will be fully opened for traffic by April 15, but people won’t allow serious questions about the defective construction and dubious decisions to be buried under the bitumen

By Team Herald
Published: 4 April 2023
Share
How’s the joke? Atal Setu is being ‘repaired’ again under a ‘defect’ clause, but GSIDC and contractor aren’t being held to account for the ‘defect’
SHARE

PANJIM: After the bonding between bitumen and underlying coating failed within two years of Atal Setu’s inauguration, the L&T company, which constructed the flagship cable-stayed bridge across the River Mandovi, is supposedly taking corrective measures by carrying out the repairs of the carpet under the Defect Liability Period clause and as per the suggestions made by the experts from the IIT Madras.

The desperation to complete the repairs is clear. However, as the deadline for completing all the works and the G20 Summit meeting dates are near, the government in order to speed up the work has decided to close the Atal Setu. 

- Advertisement -

Add as preferred source on Google

If you enjoyed reading this article, you can help support our journalism by adding OHeraldo as a preferred source.

GSIDC Managing Director Harish Adconkar said that the L&T company is carrying out the repair of the carpet under the Defect Liability Period clause and as per the suggestions made by the experts from the IIT Madras.

“L&T company is doing the rehabilitation work under Defect Liability Period clause and there is no cost to the State exchequer,” he said.

Loss of man-hours in traffic jams is a loss to the exchequer, and the second closure of the bridge in two years is also a loss to the exchequer. And who paid for the consultancy provided by IIT Madras? It was GSIDC at a cost to the exchequer.

The PWD inspection report of July 20, 2020 (see a copy of report) exposed the defects in the GSIDC contractor’s work

- Advertisement -

The Goa State Infrastructure Development Corporation (GSIDC) stated that the Atal Setu will be fully opened for vehicular traffic by April 15 evening, while the Porvorim to Margao lane will be opened from Thursday (April 6). The bridge was closed for vehicular traffic for the last two months to undertake repair works even as the Ponda-Panjim lane was opened last week.

Meanwhile, the Traffic Cell has conveyed that to facilitate early completion of the ongoing resurfacing work of the carriageway on Atal Setu, all the lanes of the Atal Setu will be closed with immediate effect for the movement of all categories of vehicles till the completion of work.

The Traffic Cell has advised all motorists, school-goers, students answering exams, etc, to take note of the same and plan their journey accordingly and cooperate with Traffic Police in ensuring the smooth movement of vehicular traffic.

“This is a temporary difficulty and all citizens are requested to follow the lane system to avoid unnecessary blockage,” Superintendent of Police (Traffic) Bossuet Silva stated in a press release.

- Advertisement -

Huge traffic jams and chaos prevailed on the Panjim, Porvorim and Merces roads when the Atal Setu was closed on March 21. Because of the chaos, the government decided to open one side of the Atal Setu.

TAGGED:accountarentAtalClausecontractordefectGSIDCheldHOWSjokerepairedSetu
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Copy Link
Previous Article Goa to direct Maharashtra to stop work on Virdi Dam: CM Goa to direct Maharashtra to stop work on Virdi Dam: CM
Next Article Golden Jubilee of creating great artists in Goa Golden Jubilee of creating great artists in Goa

You Might Also Like

Screenshot 2026 08 21 155010
GOA

Pernem Police Arrest Man With Suspected Hashish Oil Worth ₹1 Lakh

1 Min Read
Screenshot 2026 08 21 153341
GOA

Goa Forward Party Suspends Congress Alliance Talks, Announces New Campaign

1 Min Read
Screenshot 2026 08 21 151847
GOA

Ponda Assembly By-Election: Postal Ballot Papers to Be Shredded on August 21

0 Min Read
Screenshot 2026 08 21 145104
GOA

Goa BJP Holds Election Strategy Meet With Ministers, Reviews Development Works

1 Min Read
Screenshot 2026 08 21 143116
GOA

Mulgaon Mining Row: Villagers Allege Transported Minerals Without Addressing Demands

1 Min Read
Screenshot 2026 08 21 140933
GOA

NH66 Expansion: Dandewado Locals Seek Highway Diversion Outside Village

1 Min Read
Screenshot 2026 08 21 125143
GOA

Insuli-Banda Hit-and-Run: Woman Killed, Two Goan Priests Injured in Car Crash

1 Min Read
Screenshot 2026 08 21 124040
GOA

Goa Rent-a-Cab Sector: Government to Introduce New SOPs After Operations Audit

1 Min Read

About US

The Herald Group encompassing its flagship O Heraldo daily, Dainik Herald (Marathi Daily) Herald TV and the universe Herald Digital. We are a 360 degree media company with an integrated news and content gathering and dissemination network.

ePaper
  • GOA
  • CAFE
  • SPORTS
  • VIDEOS
  • OBITUARIES

Quick Links

  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Terms of Use
© 2026 Herald Goa. All Rights Reserved. Developed by: BLACK HOLE STUDIO