US President Donald Trump on Thursday threatened severe economic consequences for countries that continue to support or conduct business with Iran, as the conflict in the Middle East approaches its sixth month.
Trump described the move as the “most crushing economic operation ever taken against any country”, announcing a sweeping campaign aimed at isolating Iran economically.
In a post on Truth Social, Trump said Iran had been given an opportunity to negotiate a deal but had failed to take it. He said the US would therefore pursue what he termed “economic warfare” and unprecedented isolation against the Islamic Republic.
Trump warned that countries allowing their financial institutions, businesses, airports or government agencies to provide support to Iran would also face what he called “tremendous economic consequences.”
He specifically called for an immediate halt to activities including oil smuggling, financial swap arrangements, cash transfers, exchange houses, ship registries and the use of front companies to facilitate business with Iran.
Although Trump did not identify any specific country, he said those involved would know who they were.
The latest threat comes amid escalating tensions in the Middle East, with the US administration intensifying economic pressure on Iran as the conflict continues.
(This story is published from a syndicated feed)

