Indian sailor’s body returned from Venezuela with vital organs missing, family seeks probe

The family of an Indian sailor who died while on duty in Venezuela has demanded a thorough investigation after a second post-mortem in India allegedly revealed that several of his vital organs were missing.

Rakesh Chauhan, 33, a resident of Uttar Pradesh’s Deoria district who lived in Mumbai with his family, had joined the Merchant Navy in November 2025 and was working as a marine fitter in Venezuela. According to his family, they were informed by his employer on May 7 that he had fallen aboard the ship and suffered serious injuries. A day later, the company said his condition was critical before informing them that he had died during treatment, reportedly after suffering a heart attack.

- Advertisement -

Add as preferred source on Google

If you enjoyed reading this article, you can help support our journalism by adding OHeraldo as a preferred source.

His body reached India nearly a month later. Initially, doctors did not conduct another post-mortem, stating that one had already been performed overseas. However, following directions from the Deoria district administration, a second autopsy was carried out.

According to the family, the examination found that Rakesh’s brain, heart, lungs, liver, kidneys, spleen, pancreas, gall bladder, intestines, urinary bladder and several other internal organs were missing. The report also noted 22 stitched incisions extending from the neck to the lower abdomen and across both ears. Doctors reportedly said the absence of the organs made it impossible to determine the exact cause of death through forensic examination.

The Federation of Seafarers’ Unions of India (FSUI) has raised concerns over the handling of the case and sought a full autopsy report from Venezuelan authorities. The union also questioned why the organs were allegedly removed without the family’s knowledge, claimed there were discrepancies in documentation related to the body and vessel details, and urged the Indian Embassy in Venezuela to intervene.

Rakesh’s family has accused the company of withholding key information surrounding his death and has demanded a detailed investigation, accountability and financial compensation. His wife, Ranjana, who is currently staying with their six-month-old son at her parents’ home, remains in contact with the Indian Embassy while seeking action in the case.

- Advertisement -
Share This Article