Team Herald
VASCO: The Mormugao Municipal Council (MMC) workers on Tuesday held a meeting to decide on strike over the pending two months salaries.
The meeting decided that workers will continue to work for a few more days so that the Council can get adequate time to arrange their salaries. At the same time the meeting resolved to give a notice to the Council stating that henceforth any delays in releasing their salaries beyond a week would lead to immediate strike without further notice.
Workers leader Gopi Mandrekar said that the workers had been struggling for their livelihood without salaries for the last two months and the assurances given by the chairperson and the chief officer their pending salaries would be cleared had failed time and again.
Mandrekar said that despite delays the workers have been cooperating with the MMC and continued their work so that locals do not face inconvenience. They demanded that their pending salaries be disbursed as they had to pay the rent and repay loan instalments.
Mandrekar hoped that the authorities will not force them to go on strike and clear their salaries.
Another worker Mahesh Salgaonkar told workers that the file regarding their salaries had been cleared and was awaiting the signature of the Chief Secretary. He said that it’s now only a matter of few days and the salary issue will be settled.

