PANJIM: With the society divided over the alleged rape of a Siolim school student involving a senior teacher, the authorities concerned have intervened to unearth the truth. Education Department has asked the institution to submit a detailed report on the entire episode latest by Friday.
The Goa State Commission for Protection of Child Rights (GSCPCR) has asked Anjuna police to submit details of the investigation on urgent basis.
Education Director G P Bhat said they will decide action, if any into the case after examining the report. The department had issued the notice last Friday giving the school management one week’s time to furnish the required information.
“We have asked an explanation from the management over the alleged incident. Once we are in receipt of the report, a decision will be taken on how to proceed with the matter,” Bhat told Herald.
The GSCPCR on the other hand has written to the Anjuna police seeking status report of the investigation so far. “Soon as the media reported about the incident, we consulted our legal adviser and subsequently sent a written communiqué to the police to furnish details of the investigation so far. We are awaiting a reply,” Commission chairperson Sushma Kirtani said.
In an attempt to create awareness against sexual abuse and to ensure such incident do not re-occur, the Commission has decided to hold meetings with the general public, parents teachers associations of north and south districts, and headmasters’ association.
Kirtani informed that their resource persons will address a gathering on Protection of Children From Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act, Juvenile Justice Board and corporal punishment, at Dona Paula on October 11. This will be followed by another meet of PTA, North Goa on October 15 while a tentative date of October 27 has been fixed for PTA, South meeting. “Another gathering to address laws related to children will be held for the members of headmasters association,” she added, adding the gatherings will also educate the attendees on mental health issues of children and adolescents.
Social activist Satish Sonak has suggested that the school management should advise the accused teacher to surrender before the police and face trial while also questioning why the survivor would file a false complaint against him risking her reputation.
His statement comes in the wake of a recent meeting held by the ex-students of the school who resolved to hold a morcha at victim’s residence in protest of ‘baseless allegations made against the teacher.’
“If pressure tactics by mob become successful, it will set a bad precedent… The school management should approach the case with open mind and not prejudge the issue and advise the accused to surrender to police and face trial,” the activist said, as he slammed the accused’s supporters of resorting to such moves.
“The unwarranted threat of morcha is a calculated attempt not only to deter the complainant and family but also to create fear psychosis among local journalists. Only those who do not want the truth to come out will resort to such morchas.”
The 59-year-old teacher’s anticipatory bail will be heard before Children’s Court on Tuesday.
