PANJIM: The Amche Mollem Group and others have criticised the State government for issuing summons to four Goyant Kollso Naka (GKN) members for participating in the protest that was held in November 2020 in Chandor against the expansion of railway double-tracking project and three linear projects.
A statement was issued by the group where they also called for the dropping of such charges.
“We stand firmly with the citizens who were part of the historic Battle of Chandor that has helped save our forests. We hope that the upcoming Supreme Court verdict on the double-tracking project within Mollem will further reiterate that Goans will not just watch the destruction of Goa but will exercise full citizenship,” the Amche Mollem campaigners said.
“In November 2020, amid a raging COVID-19 pandemic, thousands of Goans defended their forests and villages from three linear infrastructure projects threatening to make their homeland a coal hub. Thousands of citizens gathered for a peaceful midnight protest for the Battle of Chandor, with candles on a midnight vigil. They chanted. They sang and they danced. They came together as a community, as defenders of Goa,” the group added, while recalling what had happened.
“The unique gathering brought national attention to citizens’ concerns around the destructive and unplanned assault the State is facing. Citizens last year took to an ‘Arrest Me Too’ campaign standing in solidarity when there were plans to press charges against the people who attended the Battle of Chandor. But just this week on April 10, 2022, after two years, four of the thousands that had gathered at Chandor have received summons,” the group explained.
They further pointed out that citizens have been appalled by this new development given that just a couple of days ago, they had celebrated the part-win by the Supreme Court regarding the Tamnar Transmission Project.
More support has started pouring in from all quarters.
Neelam Ahluwalia, founder member of Aravalli Bachao Citizens Movement stated that “India and the world are watching the actions of State government towards citizens protesting to save their forests.”
“All forest and environment movements across India stand in solidarity with the Goyant Kollso Naka campaigners. Citizens will continue to exercise their democratic rights to protest against environmental crimes,” Ahluwalia added.
Climate activist Disha Ravi also extended her support saying, “The trend of arresting people who are protecting what is remaining of the country’s biodiversity continues and how this is harmful and brings to question just how much of a democracy is remaining.”
Tanmay Shinde of Fridays for Future India said, “I condemn the notices/FIRs being issued to Goyant Kollso Naka campaigners. Climate change and global warming is a growing concern and it’s heartbreaking when you see huge forests being cut; but when responsible and conscious citizens practice their rights and duties to protect the environment and protest peacefully the State uses the brutal force to silence them and instill fear.”
The Amchem Mollem Group concurred with Shinde and said his statement is a reminder about the recently published Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Report (April 4, 2022), India among other developing countries faces the grim reality of heat waves, frequent cyclones and excessive coastal flooding.
The citizens condemning the act of issuing summons and registering FIRs also pointed out that amongst the thousands that had protested were the likes of then Leader of Opposition Digambar Kamat and ex-Congressman and present Independent MLA Aleixo Reginaldo Lourenco, who now supports the BJP government. Present IT Minister Rohan Khaunte was also highly critical of the then BJP government’s actions and had supported the anti-coal hub protests but is now a BJP MLA. While the Congress and other Opposition parties have extended support to the anti-coal protestors, they wanted to know what stance Lourenco and Khaunte would take.

