Two injured in blast in Manipur’s Bishnupur, villagers protest alleged inaction

Two people were injured after an improvised explosive device (IED) planted near an abandoned house of a Meitei family exploded in Manipur’s Bishnupur district on Monday morning, officials said. According to villagers, the first blast occurred inside the abandoned house between 5 am and 6 am. A second explosion followed shortly after, around 200 metres away in Bishnupur’s Saiton village, injuring a man and a woman.

Residents said the explosions occurred in quick succession and immediately informed the central security forces deployed in the area. The injured were identified as Soibam Sanatomba Singh, 52, and Nongthombam Indubala Devi, 37. Both sustained injuries in the second blast and were rushed to a nearby medical facility for treatment. Their condition was reported to be stable.

- Advertisement -

Add as preferred source on Google

If you enjoyed reading this article, you can help support our journalism by adding OHeraldo as a preferred source.

The house where the first explosion took place belongs to Salam Mani Singh, a 70-year-old Meitei man. The property has remained abandoned since May 2023, when ethnic violence between the Meitei and Kuki communities erupted across the state. Singh has been living in a relief camp since then.

Security forces have cordoned off the area and launched a search operation to detect any additional explosive devices. An investigation is underway to ascertain who planted the IEDs and the motive behind the blasts.

Share This Article