‘THIS IS THE MARQUEE TOURNAMENT’ BETHELL DEFENDS IPL STINT AFTER COOK’S CRITICISM

Jacob Bethell has defended his decision to stay with Royal Challengers Bengaluru during the ongoing Indian Premier League 2026 despite criticism from former England captain Alastair Cook.

The 22-year-old all-rounder spent the first six matches of the season on the bench and only got an opportunity after an injury to Phil Salt. However, Cook questioned whether Bethell’s decision to remain in the IPL instead of returning to play County Championship cricket for Warwickshire was the right move for his development ahead of England’s upcoming Test series against New Zealand national cricket team, scheduled to begin on June 4.

- Advertisement -

Add as preferred source on Google

If you enjoyed reading this article, you can help support our journalism by adding OHeraldo as a preferred source.

Cook had earlier said Bethell was “sitting on his arse at the IPL” and suggested he should have been preparing in English conditions instead.

Responding to those comments ahead of RCB’s clash against Mumbai Indians in Raipur, Bethell stood firmly by his choice. The youngster believes being around some of the best players in the world and experiencing high-pressure situations in the IPL will only help his growth as a cricketer.

“This is the marquee tournament of the year, with some of the best cricketers in the world playing in it. I definitely don’t think it’s going to hurt my career or stop me from getting better,” Bethell said.

The left-hander added that everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but personally he feels he has made the correct decision and is satisfied with where he currently stands in his career.

- Advertisement -
Share This Article