Heritage group meets MMC over old municipal building

MARGAO: The Goa Heritage Action Group, led by Prof Prajal Sakhardande, along with former MMC Chairperson Savio Coutinho, met the Margao Municipal Council Chief Officer on Monday in connection with the municipal heritage building in the Old Market area.

Team Herald
MARGAO: The Goa Heritage Action Group, led by Prof Prajal Sakhardande, along with former MMC Chairperson Savio Coutinho, met the Margao Municipal Council Chief Officer on Monday in connection with the municipal heritage building in the Old Market area.
The building has been included in the list of 17 dilapidated and dangerous buildings that are being proposed for demolition.
While speaking to the media, Sakhardande, who is a historian, said that they would protest any move to demolish the building. He impressed upon the Chief Officer the rich history of the building, and events in the Portuguese rule that claimed the lives of 23 people who opposed the rigging of the municipal elections by the Portuguese.
“In 2009, during my tenure as chairperson, the MMC had proposed to acquire the site for its conservation. However, since then, the Council has been dragging its feet over this proposal. In fact, in 2013, the subsequent council had suddenly proposed its demolition, which was stalled by heritage lovers from Margao under the leadership of Prajal Sakhardande,” said Coutinho.
Coutinho has also expressed shock at the poor coordination between the sections of the Council. He said, “On one hand, this council recently announced the restoration of the historic building based on a proposal before the Goa State Assembly, and on the other hand, the MMC has listed the building for demolition.”
The CO stated that the list had been prepared by his predecessor and claimed he was unaware of the same. However, he assured that this structure would not be proposed for demolition and that the proposal for its conservation shall be expedited.
It may be recalled that Fatorda MLA Vijai Sardesai had raised the issue of this dilapidated building in the Assembly and had also made the ministers make statements to protect the same. Now, the MMC, which is ruled by members of Sardesai’s panel, has made a report of clearing this building.

Share This Article