MPT braces for Aug 18 strike

VASCO: Workers at the Mormugao Port Trust (MPT), along with employees of all 11 major ports of the country, are bracing for an indefinite strike from August 18.

Team Herald
VASCO: Workers at the Mormugao Port Trust (MPT), along with employees of all 11 major ports of the country, are bracing for an indefinite strike from August 18.
A notice in this regard was served to the MPT by the MPT Port and Dock workers union recently.
According to information available, all six federations, representing the port and dock workers of the eleven ports and dock workers of the country have resorted to a nation-wide indefinite strike, after the federation members took the decision during a meeting held recently at New Mangalore.
During the meeting, union leaders expressed concerns over the deteriorating labour situation prevailing in the major ports due to the illogical, non-productive, partisan and anti-labour actions of the Indian ports management and the ministry of shipping in particular. As Mormugao port and dock workers union are also part of the federation, a strike notice was thus issued to the MPT by the local union leaders.
As per the press release issued by the MPT workers union, the policies adopted by the ministry of shipping, as well as the Indian ports association are adversely affecting the livelihood of thousands of the port workers. The discriminatory actions of authorities have also been increasing. 
Outsourcing of jobs, ban on recruitment against the class III and class IV posts, non-filling of vacancies, indiscriminate abolition of posts, mass contractorisation and outsourcing of port-related activities are some of the serious problems the port workers face. Contractorisation and outsourcing of port related activities had resulted in loss of regular employment and job cuts in the major ports, in addition to exploitation of rights. Encouraging private ports within the vicinity of major ports had already resulted in diversion of cargo from major ports to private ports, the press release said.
The strike action stems from disapproval of the Major Ports Authority Bill 2016, which has been fast-tracked by the government in order to attract more private investment and enhance port efficiency. The bill would eventually lead to total privatization of India’s major ports and hence an indefinite strike has been called from August 18, at all India level and both the workers unions of MPT have decided to take part in the strike.
Meanwhile, MPT officials claimed that though the strike would affect port operations to some extent, arrangements have been made to ensure that the effect would be at a minimum. 
“Yes we have received a strike notice from the workers’ union. This is at all-India level and not restricted to Goa only. We expect that about 20 per cent of operations at MPT would be affected due to the strike. However, all other operations at coal and few other berths would be normal as elaborate arrangements have been made,” MPT officials told this correspondent.

Share This Article