Govt ‘indifference’ prompts Ponda carnival lovers to self-fund parade

Out of Tourism Dept’s list for three consecutive years, locals to organise float parade on March 4 from Tisk-Ponda to bus stand

Team Herald

PONDA: Frustrated over the government’s neglect in organising the Carnival for three consecutive years, Ponda People’s Carnival Committee (PPCC) has decided to hold the float parade by crowd funding the event.

- Advertisement -

Add as preferred source on Google

If you enjoyed reading this article, you can help support our journalism by adding OHeraldo as a preferred source.

Following an urgent meeting, the PPCC led by Agustin Fernandes, has decided to organise the parade through public contributions and sponsorships, as the government has refused to provide funding.

The Carnival Parade is set to take place on March 4, starting at Tisk-Ponda, at 4 pm and culminating at the Ponda Bus Stand.

Briefing the media, Fernandes said, “The government has only declared Carnival parades for Panjim, Porvorim, Mapusa, Margao, and Vasco. We even met Ponda MLA and Minister Ravi Naik recently, who promised to raise the issue with Tourism Minister Rohan Khaunte.

After years of promises and no funds being sanctioned, we have decided not to approach them again this year
Agustin Fernandes – PPCC head

- Advertisement -

He further said, “Whether the government sanctions funds or not, we will organise the event ourselves and have decided to collect contributions from the public. We will not meet any ministers for grants.

If they want to help, they are welcome to, but we will carry on with the parade regardless.” Fernandes also welcomed other Carnival enthusiasts to join the committee and support the success of the event.

Reflecting on the government’s lack of support, Fernandes expressed that Ponda has been treated unfairly, particularly since the town has four constituencies.

He highlighted the history of the Ponda Carnival, noting, “I was the Chairman of the Carnival Committee from 2007 to 2010 when the float parade was first introduced. Grants were provided by the government until 2012, following which they stopped after the election defeat of the local MLA.

The parade continued on a self-funded basis until it was interrupted by the Covid-19 pandemic. Since then, the government has failed to release any funds for the festivities, making this the third consecutive year.”

I urge donors and local businesses to contribute generously and encourage everyone to participate in large numbers,

Riva Peres – Member , PPCC

The absence of the float parade in Ponda for the past three years has left the local community disappointed and determined to revive the tradition.

.

Residents are eager to showcase their creativity and talents, which they hope will once again become a highlight of the region’s Carnival celebrations.

Share This Article