Lobo lobbies for Sunburn to come to Anjuna after it’s gone to Dhargalim, people wonder what’s going on

Anjuna villagers say Lobo is rubbing salt to injury; submit memorandum to MLA Delilah Lobo with regard to loud music parties

Team Herald

ANJUNA: Calangute MLA Michael Lobo has fuelled controversy by his out-of-the-blue statement directly lobbying for Sunburn to come back to Anjuna.

- Advertisement -

Add as preferred source on Google

If you enjoyed reading this article, you can help support our journalism by adding OHeraldo as a preferred source.

Speaking to reporters, Lobo said Dhargalim will host the Sunburn EDM festival but there is inadequate infrastructure in the area to host a big event like this. Dhargalim lacks much-needed facilities such as restaurants, motels, small eateries and tea stalls. “There are no beaches in the area to attract festival attendees. Though the festival is happening in Dhargalim, the Sunburn attendees will also want to visit the beaches,” Lobo said.

Anjuna locals have objected strongly to the

MLA’s statement.

They say that the Calangute MLA is now adding salt to injury, by “extending his full support to hold electronic dance music (EDM) events”. His backing EDM events has drawn the ire of the concerned locals and activists, who now ask what good will the EDM do to the village.

- Advertisement -

Dr Inacio Fernandes, who has been spearheading the protests against loud parties in Anjuna, said, “It’s time to ask ourselves what good will the event do to the village. Anjuna villagers have taken to the streets too many times this year. All these are after-effects of getting Sunburn. The villagers have submitted a memorandum to their MLA. We are hopeful that MLA Delilah Lobo will hear our plea.”

Activist Ravi Harmalkar said, “EDM festivals like Sunburn may be a comparatively smaller problem against the parties that play loud music and create nuisance throughout the night. But the question is whether they will do any good to the locals and the small-timers who work in and around the venues.”

Mandrem MLA’s flip-flop on Sunburn

MARGAO: Mandrem MLA Jit Arolkar’s statement on Sunburn on Wednesday was again a testament to how politicians conveniently change their stance on issues, depending on what suits their purpose.

- Advertisement -

“Events like Sunburn are crucial to the State’s tourism sector, which heavily relies on attracting both domestic and international tourists,” Arolkar said, speaking to the media.

However, it was the same MLA who had opposed Sunburn in Pernem last year. “I don’t want a festival like Sunburn to come to Pernem – known as a mine of traditional art forms. If Sunburn comes to Pernem, it will be a great injustice to the talent of the local performers,” Arolkar had said in 2023. The Dhargalim village panchayat has recently granted provisional permission to the event this year.

Share This Article