KHATTAR ARREST SPARKS CALLS FOR WIDER PROBE

Political leaders and activists seek a comprehensive inquiry into organisers, alleged conspiracy, briefing inputs and the background of his visit to the Stat

MARGAO: Strong reactions poured in following the arrest of Gautam Khattar in Himachal Pradesh, with activists and political leaders welcoming the move while demanding a wider probe into the incident, including the role of those who brought him to Goa and facilitated his statements. The reactions come after large-scale protests across Goa, including a massive mobilisation in Margao where thousands had gathered and set a 5 pm deadline for police action. Among those who reacted were Advocate Pratima Coutinho, Goa Forward Party president and Fatorda MLA Vijay Sardesai, youth leader and social worker Warren Alemao, and activist Kennedy Afonso.

Advocate Pratima Coutinho termed the arrest “better late than never,” calling it a relief that Khattar is being brought to Goa, while stressing that this is only the beginning and that a lot more remains to be done.

- Advertisement -

Add as preferred source on Google

If you enjoyed reading this article, you can help support our journalism by adding OHeraldo as a preferred source.

She said the offence invoked against Khattar is non-bailable and insisted that all sections currently applied must be retained and not diluted, and must be followed through fully. She demanded that the Crime Branch make public the course of its investigation and clearly spell out the charges being pursued. Coutinho added that the case must be pursued in a strong and watertight manner to ensure that he remains in custody and faces the full extent of the law, and said he should apologise to the public for his statements.

Coutinho said that a charge of conspiracy must be examined, arguing that Khattar could not have acted alone and that the incident appeared to be a planned act with a clear purpose behind bringing him to Goa. She questioned who brought him to the state, who he colluded with, and crucially, who briefed him before making the statements.

Pointing to another aspect, she said Khattar himself had claimed that he received information from someone before making his remarks, and questioned who that individual was, stating that this link must be thoroughly investigated.

She also called for strict action against the organisers of the event, saying their role in bringing him to Goa and facilitating the platform must be fully examined. Referring to developments over the past few days, she said the manner in which he was received and given prominence during his visit has already raised serious concerns. She added that organisers must be more responsible about whom they invite, stating that Goans will not tolerate hate-mongers being given a platform.

- Advertisement -

Coutinho further said that protesters are continuing with their major demand for the sacking of Minister Mauvin Godinho, alleging that he had seconded Khattar’s remarks while sharing the stage.

Earlier in the day, Coutinho and other activists had urged people to maintain peace. At a press conference held before the deadline set by protestors, they had said that if no arrest was made, the next course of action would be announced on Monday. However, the subsequent arrest later in the day altered the immediate course of the agitation.

Goa Forward Party president and Fatorda MLA Vijay Sardesai welcomed the action of the Goa Police, noting that the timeline set by the public had been met, with the arrest coming on the day indicated to the Chief Minister.

However, he stressed that the focus must now shift to a thorough investigation into what he described as a larger conspiracy behind the incident. Questioning how a person with no roots in Goa and no understanding of its ethos could make remarks about St Francis Xavier — a figure revered across Goa, the country and globally, and one who has also been referred to with respect by the Prime Minister — Sardesai said authorities must establish who brought Khattar to the state, who he colluded with, and crucially, who briefed him.

- Advertisement -

He said the probe must get to the “root of the cause” and expose all those involved, adding that such incidents are not isolated and continue to occur because certain “elements get political support.”

Turning to the role of Minister Mauvin Godinho, Sardesai pointed to videos showing the minister inviting people to attend the event. He said that while the minister later condemned the incident, footage from the event shows him on stage appearing to second Khattar’s remarks without making any attempt to correct him.

Sardesai reiterated the demand that Godinho step down as a Cabinet Minister, stating that his conduct gives the impression of supporting the remarks made at the event.

It may be recalled that Sardesai on Thursday had made his demand for the arrest of Khattar and the sacking of Godinho from the stage at the Sonsodo event while sharing the stage with the Chief Minister.

Youth leader and social worker Warren Alemao, who was also part of the protests, described the arrest as a “victory for every Goemkar,” saying it reflected the unity shown by people across Goa.

He said St Francis Xavier is “the pride and soul of Goa” and asserted that any insult to him will never be tolerated. He added that the development shows that when Goans stand together, justice follows, and demanded strict action so that no one dares to hurt the sentiments of people again.

Kennedy Afonso, who was also associated with the protests, said he was “happy to note” that Khattar had been detected and detained by the Crime Branch, but said the next crucial step would be to ensure he is brought to Goa.

He said there is a clear demand among Goans that Khattar be produced in the state and face legal proceedings here, adding that it remains to be seen how the law will take its course. Afonso also said Khattar should not be granted bail and pointed out that the organisers of the event have not yet been arrested, describing this as a secondary demand.

Share This Article