Soham Naik withdraws bail plea after complainant’s claim

Complainant tells court she was pressured to file case; accused remains in custody in other FIRs

PANJIM/MARGAO: Soham Naik, the Curchorem resident arrested in a string of sexual abuse cases, on Thursday withdrew his anticipatory bail application before the South Goa District and Sessions Court in Margao after a key development during the hearing.

The first complainant told the court that she had been pressured into filing a police complaint despite having no grievance against Naik, prompting the defence to withdraw the plea. Appearing for Naik, Advocate Amey Prabhudessai said the statement significantly altered the basis of the anticipatory bail application and called for a thorough and impartial investigation to establish the truth.

- Advertisement -

Add as preferred source on Google

If you enjoyed reading this article, you can help support our journalism by adding OHeraldo as a preferred source.

However, the withdrawal does not alter Naik’s custodial status. He continues to remain in jail in connection with multiple other cases registered by the Crime Branch, including serious allegations of sexual assault, exploitation, and intimidation involving minors and young women.

Crime Branch sources confirmed that a total of five FIRs have been registered so far, with Naik already arrested in four. Police are expected to seek custody in the fifth case, particularly after the statement of a minor victim was recorded before the court.

Investigators allege that Naik lured victims under the pretext of relationships, recorded explicit videos and photographs, and later used the material to threaten and blackmail them. The case has drawn widespread attention following multiple complaints and reports of the circulation of obscene content.

Officials maintained that the investigation remains active and evidence-driven, with no dilution in the seriousness of the charges despite the latest courtroom development.

- Advertisement -
Share This Article