TISS postpones convocation amid fears of protests against CJI Surya Kant

The Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS) has announced a new date and chief guest for its postponed convocation, weeks after abruptly cancelling the original ceremony amid concerns over possible student protests.

The institute’s 86th convocation, which was scheduled to take place in Mumbai on August 2, was to be presided over by Chief Justice of India Surya Kant as the chief guest. The ceremony was postponed just two days before the scheduled event, with the institute’s official notification at the time not specifying a reason.

- Advertisement -

Add as preferred source on Google

If you enjoyed reading this article, you can help support our journalism by adding OHeraldo as a preferred source.

The convocation will now be held on August 22. Dr CS Pramesh, director of Tata Memorial Hospital, will attend as the new chief guest.

Security concerns behind postponement

Although TISS did not provide a specific reason when it announced the cancellation late on July 31, sources cited by NDTV said the institute was concerned about possible protests by students against the Chief Justice.

Institute officials and student representatives reportedly cited campus security concerns and intelligence inputs about possible demonstrations targeting dignitaries attending the ceremony.

The possibility of protests had emerged amid growing criticism of CJI Surya Kant over remarks attributed to him in recent months and his handling of petitions related to protests and allegations of police action.

- Advertisement -

The concerns surrounding the TISS event came into focus again after students at NALSAR University of Law in Hyderabad separately objected to Kant being invited as chief guest at their convocation.

NALSAR students object to CJI invitation

Around 450 students at NALSAR had reportedly opposed the proposed participation of the Chief Justice at their convocation.

The students’ campaign was linked to concerns over comments attributed to Kant during proceedings concerning allegations of police excesses against protesters. The issue subsequently triggered a separate controversy involving the Bar Council of India.

BCI chairman Manan Kumar Mishra had issued a strong order threatening action against NALSAR students over their campaign. The order was later withdrawn after criticism from students, lawyers and other sections of the legal community.

- Advertisement -

Mishra subsequently acknowledged that the decision had been “hasty” and apologised to the students.

CJI backs students’ right to protest

Kant himself criticised the Bar Council’s intervention, saying the dispute was between him and the students and that the BCI had no role in the matter.

“It is between me and the students. What role does the Bar Council have in this matter? Students have a right to protest,” the Chief Justice said in court last week.

His comments came after the BCI withdrew its decision to prevent NALSAR graduates from registering with the Bar.

The controversy has since expanded beyond NALSAR, with concerns over the participation of senior legal figures at academic events becoming a subject of debate among students.

TISS picks new chief guest

Against this backdrop, TISS has now chosen Dr CS Pramesh as the chief guest for its rescheduled convocation.

The Tata Memorial Hospital director will preside over the ceremony on August 22, replacing the CJI.

The institute has not publicly attributed the postponement directly to protests against Kant. However, reports about security concerns and possible student demonstrations have kept the issue at the centre of attention.

The development comes at a time when student groups at several prominent institutions have increasingly asserted their right to question decisions involving public figures and institutional dignitaries.

For TISS, the new date and change in chief guest are expected to allow the institute to conduct its 86th convocation without the security concerns that surrounded the original August 2 event.

Share This Article