Curchorem locals demand reinstating of priest

CURCHOREM: Aggrieved parishioners of Guardian Angel Church, Curchorem, have decided to submit a memorandum to the diocesan authorities to demand that outgoing parish priest Fr James Torres e Silva be reinstated within eight days, failing which they have decided to hold a protest in this regard.

TEAM HERALD
CURCHOREM: Aggrieved parishioners of Guardian Angel Church, Curchorem, have decided to submit a memorandum to the diocesan authorities to demand that outgoing parish priest Fr James Torres e Silva be reinstated within eight days, failing which they have decided to hold a protest in this regard.
Addressing a largely attended meeting of parishioners in the church compound at Curchorem on Monday evening, the speakers have urged Archbishop-Patriarch Felipe Neri Ferrao to reconsider his decision relieving Fr James as parish priest and to revoke the order of August 2, thereby reinstating Fr James as the parish priest of Curchorem.
“How can priest run the affairs of the church without the cooperation from two key members of the Fabrica,” asked Confraria President Anthony Menezes.
Former Confraria President William Fernandes alleged that the Fabrica Committee had been constituted illegally without any proper procedure. “This was brought to the notice of the archbishop, then episcopal vicar and other priests concerned,” said Fernandes.
“The Fabrica Committee was formed illegally and was imposed on the parishioners, despite a report from the Conflict Resolution Team (CRT), which was formed to investigate the objections from parishioners. For the first time in the history of Curchorem Church, the committee was administered the oath of secrecy in the presence of a police force in front of the altar,” he added.
“Preparing the budget, writing accounts of the church and submitting them to the diocesan authority are the work of the Fabrica treasurer and not of the parish priest. Then, why are authorities blaming the parish priest,” asked Fernandes.
Others addressing the gathering included GAC Youth President Manisha Jacques and Church bulletin editor Paxiao Pereira. Among the parishioners present at the meeting included Fabrica Attorney John Fernandes, Fabrica Member Vincent Fernandes and former Fabrica attorney Tito D’Cunha.
Later, the parishioners decided to submit memorandum to Archbishop Ferrao, demanding the reinstatement of Fr Torres within eight days, failing which they have decided to protest in the matter. They also passed a resolution demanding the immediate dissolution of the Fabrica Committee.
Later speaking to Herald, a parishioner had stated that Fr James had initiated a number of changes in the parish and that apparently annoyed a former priest.
“Fr James had resumed services of praying at the graves during Month’s Mind and Death Anniversaries, a task earlier entrusted to Eucharistic Ministers (lay people) during the tenure of the former priest.”
“Fr James had started evening masses on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday for the benefit of the old and working class, besides an English mass once in a month. He had also started Masses at ward chapels and more importantly, restarted the age-old procession of Our Lady on February 2, which was discontinued on flimsy grounds. All these did not go down too well with some few parishioners and they tried to create obstacles to Fr James,” the parishioner said.
It may be recalled that Fr James had requested Archbishop Ferrao to relieve him on “health grounds”, but speculation was rife that Fr James wanted to move out of the parish following interference by a former priest.

Share This Article