Oscar Quadros
It has been a sort of praxis among Goans to propose or oppose any development in Goa with or without reason; some of the time the attitudes of those who propose or oppose the development projects are sickening or irrational; therefore those who are at the helm of the affairs always should realize with deep analysis the PROS AND CONTRAS of the situation in which they are involved. Therefore, it is imperative that knowledge of the situation is importance is given to the history of the place and relevancy for the people therein. In view of this a little history background of the City of Vasco Da Gama may be valuable for the decision to be taken regarding the coal controversy in the town — city of Vasco. The city of Vasco da Gama lies on the left bank of the river Zuari and close to the Marmagoa harbour.
It was during the time of Viceroy D. Francisco de Tavora, Count of Alvor (1681-86) that the marginal area to the eastern side of the Marmagoa fort was selected for the new capital of the former Portuguese State of India. The reason was that the Old City of Goa was always under heavy threat of Mohammedans and later of the Maratha chieftain, Sambhaji, son and successor of Shivaji. Also, periodical plagues afflicted the old city due to its deteriorated hygienic conditions. Hence, on the 12th January 1684, it was decided to shift the capital from Old Goa to Marmagoa peninsula which offered an ideal location. The idea mooted by the Viceroy was readily accepted by the authorities in the Court of Lisbon and some resources were mobilized to build the new capital. In fact, several buildings were constructed in the vicinity of the harbor, including the Viceroy’s palace, offices, warehouse etc. On 17th December 1703, the Viceroy Caetano de Melo e Castro actually transferred the seat of Government to Marmagoa, but his stay in the new capital was of short duration as most of the civil works in the city were incomplete and under administration point of view it was non-functional. Finally, in 1712, by orders from the Court of Lisbon, all the works of the new capital were brought to an abrupt end.
Again in 1878, when the railway tine from Marmagoa to Londa was being planned, there was a move to shift the capital from Panjim to Marmagoa. Somehow, the plan failed. But the few structures from 1712 that were still standing were utilized by the engineers of the Western India Portuguese Railway to house the headquarters of constructional works in course. The original building which was to be the palace of the Governor-General was after the completion of the railway works, sold to a party who set up the Palace Hotel. All that area is now under jurisdiction of Marmagoa Port Trust.
In 1886, the energetic governor, F.J. Ferreira do Amaral made another bid to develop the area to the eastern side of the fort of Marrnagoa up to Vaddem. He named it “Vasco da Gama”, in honour of the discoverer of the sea route to India (1497-98). His early retirement to Lisbon due to premature death of his wife brought his plan to a standstill. But this move was a happy beginning. Soon people started erecting their abodes. The railway line greatly helped the spurt of constructional activity. This state of affairs continued till 1917 when the Carta Organica do Estado da India (Organic Charter of the State of India), approved by Decree No. 3:266 dated 27th July 1917 created a new taluka (concelho) of Marmagoa and at that time it was thought of erecting the new city of Vasco da Gama the limits of which were fixed by Decree No. 3:337 dated 6th September 1917. The new city was also made the capital city of Marmagoa taluka. Soon after, by Provincial Order No. 70 of 20th January 1919, a Council was appointed to run the new Marmagoa Municipality which was soon dissolved to yield place to the “Comissao de Melhoramentos de Mormugao” created by Order No, 1,107 of 11th November 1919. It was this new body that gave a great impulse to the area of Vasco da Gama. In fact, the new city blossomed due to the efforts of Eng. Luis A. Maravilhas, Fiscal Director of Marmagoa Railway and Harbor, who with his grandiose plan and dynamic action gave to the vast undeveloped area a look of a modern city. Eng. Maravilhas planned a modern “boulevard” cutting the city into two halves and by setting an avenue on the margin of Zuari river which was completed only in 1929 when the Governor-General Craveiro Lopes inaugurated it. Soon after it was named “Avenida Marginal Craveiro Lopes”. When Eng. Maravilhas returned to Portugal after his commission of servicer was over, the remaining works were successfully completed by his assistant Eng. Bismark Dias who worked with great zeal and dedication, turning the town into a newly set city. The most attractive structure of Vasco, is certainly its majestic church of St. Andrew, setting off most prominently in the city. Built by Jesuits in 1570, the church in baroque style with its large façade is certainly an architectural attraction. It has five altars. To this church are attached six chapels spread throughout the Vasco and Marmugoa harbor area. The buildings like the old Municipality, Court and even the private residences were built in a most imaginative way. The main garden was a claim and soothing place where people used to relax. The Children’s Park was another lively venue for children in the evening.
The history of the city of Vasco da Gama ran curiously, partly in keeping with the natural history of colonial settlement, for it grew round a port and a fort as well as part of the process of gentrification along with the club house, the tree-shaded streets, the municipal and children’s park. Also, the railway line from Marmagoa Harbour to Londa and passing through the city, gave impetus for its development.
The “Comissao de Melhoramentos de Mormugao” was finally dissolved by Diploma Legislative No. 744 of 17th July 1934, which revived the system of Municipal Council for managing the affairs of the city.
Unfortunately, after liberation, Vasco da Gama has grown haphazardly and full of slums, losing much of its old charm.
