India, China Hold Fresh Military Talks to Maintain Peace Along LAC in Eastern Ladakh

India and China have held a new round of high-level military talks aimed at maintaining peace and stability along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in eastern Ladakh. The Corps Commander-level meeting took place on October 25 at the Moldo-Chushul border point on the Indian side, marking the first such engagement since the Special Representatives’ talks between National Security Advisor Ajit Doval and Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi in August.

According to the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), the discussions were held in a “friendly and cordial atmosphere.” Both sides reviewed progress made since the 22nd round of Corps Commander-level talks in October 2024 and agreed that peace and tranquility have largely been maintained along the border.

- Advertisement -

Add as preferred source on Google

If you enjoyed reading this article, you can help support our journalism by adding OHeraldo as a preferred source.

“Both sides agreed to continue to use existing mechanisms to resolve any ground issues along the border to maintain stability,” the MEA said in a statement.

Focus on Sustained Stability
The talks come amid ongoing efforts by New Delhi and Beijing to normalise relations after ending the four-year-long military standoff in eastern Ladakh last year. The standoff, which began in May 2020, led to heightened tensions and a deadly clash at Galwan Valley in June that year.

The disengagement process from the remaining friction points at Demchok and Depsang was completed in late 2024, effectively ending the prolonged confrontation.

Ongoing Diplomatic and Military Engagements
Following Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi’s visit to New Delhi for the Special Representatives’ talks on August 19, both countries agreed on a framework for a “stable, cooperative and forward-looking” relationship. This included commitments to jointly maintain border peace, reopen trade routes, and boost investment ties.

- Advertisement -

The MEA said the October 25 meeting was the first under the “General Level Mechanism” in the Western Sector since the 24th round of Special Representatives’ talks in August.

A Chinese defence ministry readout also confirmed that both sides held “active and in-depth communication” on managing the western section of the China-India border. It said both countries agreed to continue communication through military and diplomatic channels, guided by the consensus reached between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and President Xi Jinping.

Troop Presence Remains High
While disengagement has been completed at key friction points, both sides are yet to initiate full de-escalation. Each currently maintains between 50,000 and 60,000 troops along the LAC in eastern Ladakh.

The decision to revive multiple dialogue mechanisms between India and China was made following a meeting between Modi and Xi in Kazan, Russia, in October last year. The continued series of talks underscores both nations’ intent to prevent fresh tensions and sustain long-term border stability.

- Advertisement -

(This story is published from a syndicated feed)

Share This Article