Boom-barriers to stop sewage dumpingnear Saligao garbage plant

In a major step to curb environmental pollution, Saligao MLA Kedar Naik on Wednesday announced that boom barriers will soon be installed on the approach road leading to the Saligao Solid Waste Management Facility (SWMF) to prevent sewage tankers from illegally dumping waste in the area.

The decision was taken during a meeting held at the SWMF with senior officials from the Goa Waste Management Corporation (GWMC) and members of the Saligao and Pilerne village panchayats.

- Advertisement -

Add as preferred source on Google

If you enjoyed reading this article, you can help support our journalism by adding OHeraldo as a preferred source.

Speaking to reporters, Naik said several sewage tankers, especially from the Calangute–Candolim coastal belt, had been discharging waste along the approach road, causing a foul stench and environmental degradation. “The operators had even dug trenches to dump sewage, and trucks were seen unloading construction debris and other waste,” he said.

To address the issue, it was decided to install boom barriers, a guard cabin, and CCTV surveillance on the Saligao access road to monitor and penalise violators.

Naik further informed that the number of garbage trucks arriving from Mormugao and South Goa has already been reduced following requests from local panchayats, which has helped ease the operational load at the facility.

He assured residents that strict measures will be enforced to maintain hygiene and prevent further environmental damage in the area.

- Advertisement -
Share This Article