Malim Jetty extension work handed to new contractor

 Minister for Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Services Nilkanth Halarnkar on Monday confirmed that a new contractor has been appointed for the extension of the Malim Jetty, with instructions to complete the long-delayed project within a year.

“The contract has been awarded to a new contractor after removing the previous one. The project has to be completed within a year. It is being implemented by the Goa State Infrastructure Development Corporation (GSIDC) and they will take the necessary decisions going forward,” Halarnkar told reporters.

- Advertisement -

Add as preferred source on Google

If you enjoyed reading this article, you can help support our journalism by adding OHeraldo as a preferred source.

The minister disclosed that the earlier contractor engaged by GSIDC had abandoned the work midway. The original project, launched in 2017, involved construction and upgradation of the fishing jetties at Malim (North Goa) and Cortalim (South Goa) at a combined cost of Rs 59 crore, and was initially scheduled for completion by May 2023.

Halarnkar also reiterated plans announced in December last year to build a floating jetty adjacent to Malim Jetty, on the Penha-de-Franca side. The project, estimated at between Rs 10 crore and Rs 15 crore, is to be implemented under the Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana. The Detailed Project Report (DPR) has already been submitted to Delhi, and work will begin once approval is received from the Centre.

The floating jetty, he said, would significantly reduce waiting times for trawlers to unload their catch. “Officials have been instructed to resolve the issues currently faced by trawler owners at Malim Jetty,” Halarnkar added.

- Advertisement -
Share This Article