PANJIM: “It’s hard as her mum dealing with it,” said Andrea Brannigan, a sad but determined mother of Danielle McLaughlin, as the dastardly rape and murder case reaches its 200th hearing in five years of time.
The accused, Vikat Bhagat, has been charged with the rape and murder of Danielle and the trial opened in 2018 but have been beset by delays.
The 23-year-old has pleaded not guilty to charges of rape, murder, violent robbery and destruction of evidence.
Mother Andrea Brannigan, said the trial has been delayed yet again following the alleged prison incident and fears the accused will apply for bail following his release from hospital.
She said, “I would like the trial to be fast tracked, as the way it is proceeding to date, I feel I’ll never see justice for Danielle. But I also feel positive that we have a new female judge and public prosecutor.”
On Monday the prayer of Bhagat before the Sessions Court South Goa seeking medical attention alleging assault by jail guards was allowed. He was sent to judicial custody for further trial.
While speaking to an Irish news portal, Brannigan said, “The accused is saying he was beaten up by the prison guards. He’s in hospital now and while I don’t know his condition, he’s due for appearing before court on Wednesday. So I’ll find out more then, but the thought of he being released is very distressing.”
“A new female judge was appointed last week. So hopefully she’ll speed up the trial because nothing has happened over
the past three years,” Brannigan said.
Danielle, who belonged from Buncrana, Ireland, was found dead in a secluded spot in Canacona, an area of Goa popular with holidaymakers, in March 2017.
The 28-year-old was on holiday when she was hit with a bottle before being raped and murdered.
Danielle, who had been using a British passport at the time, had travelled to India where she planned to train as a yoga teacher. The night before she was found dead, Danielle had attended a Holi party near Canacona beach in the south of Goa.

