TURBULENCE OVER DABOLIM: OPPOSITION WARNS OF STATEWIDE AGITATION

A massive polit ical storm erupted in South Goa on Thursday as the Congress, Goa Forward Par ty (GFP), and Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) threatened to launch a Statewide agitation over the alleged “systematic shutdown” of civilian opera tions at Dabolim Airport. At a press conference in Margao, South Goa District Congress Committee Dis trict President Savio da Sil va alleged that moves were afoot to stop civilian opera tions and retain it as an ex clusive defence airport and warned that it would launch an agitation if the BJP gov ernments at the State and Centre failed to clarify their stand on the airport’s future. Savio da Silva, along with Congress leaders Savio Coutinho, Moreno Rebello, Everson Vales and others, accused the BJP of “playing games” at the cost of the Goan public. Da Silva claimed that nearly five lakh people de pend directly and indirectly on business generated from Dabolim Airport, including taxi operators, hoteliers and several allied sectors. He said any move to halt civilian flights would have a serious economic im pact, especially at a time when unemployment in Goa was among the highest in India. He alleged that the party had received information that a proposal had been moved to close civilian op erations at the airport with the backing of the State and Central governments along with the Navy. Referring to a recent vid eo of Chief Minister Pramod Sawant and Health Minister Vishwajit Rane playing table tennis, Da Silva said what was unfolding over Dabolim appeared to be a similar “game” between a BJP Min ister in the State and the Central government. “Goa is not here to watch such games. There is a BJP government at the State and at the Centre. What is needed is a clarifica tion from both on the fu ture of Dabolim Airport,” he said.

The Congress leaders described recent remarks attributed to Transport Min ister Mauvin Godinho that GMR Group, the operator of Manohar International Airport (Mopa), is actively lobbying the Indian Navy to take over Dabolim Air port entirely for defence use as a matter of grave concern that should be taken seriously. Questioning Godinho’s credibility, they recalled his support for the contro versial flyover project near Dabolim, which the party had opposed both on the ground and in court. They said the government had initially been adamant about proceeding with the flyover despite concerns that it would affect airport operations. Eventually, the court directed the National Highways Authority of In dia (NHAI) to reduce the height of flyover pillars after they were found to exceed permissible limits under airport safety norms. Calling the project a waste of taxpayers’ money in view of the subsequent al terations, the Congress alleged that it was another attempt to trouble airport operations and added that this was not the first time efforts had been made to destabilise or curtail activities at Dabolim. Da Silva referred to steps taken in the past by Congress leadership when it was in power at the Centre, including Sonia Gandhi and former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, to safeguard the airport’s civilian status. He also mentioned interventions by South Goa MP Capt Viriato Fernandes on the issue and said the Congress would continue to stand with the people of Goa. The party pointed out that it had repeatedly raised the matter in the Assem bly, where the Chief Minister had assured members that Dabolim Airport would not be shut. Da Silva said the Congress would hit the streets if the matter was not clarified or if further steps were taken to stop civilian operations at the airport. Meanwhile, Goa Forward Party (GFP) President Vijai Sardesai alleged a con certed effort by private interests and central authorities to curtail its commer cial operations, warning that such a move would severely damage South Goa’s economy, tourism sector, and the identity of Goa. Speaking to the media, Sardesai referenced his January 16, 2026 address in the Goa Legislative Assembly, wherein he first raised concerns that Dabolim Air port was being systematically targeted for exclusive Navy use. He stated that information received from credible sources indicated that file notes had been prepared proposing that, post “Operation Sindoor”, Dabolim airport will be re served solely for the Navy. He recalled that on the floor of the House, Minister Mauvin Godinho had given an unequivocal assurance that Dabolim would remain operational and that both airports in Goa would continue to serve the public. He expressed deep concern over recent statements made by the Minister, which he characterised as a de parture from that assurance. “If the government cannot safeguard Goa’s historic airport, an airport that has been Goa’s identity since the Portuguese era, then it is a serious failure, and if Mauvin being the MLA of Dabolim cannot safeguard the airport, he should resign from his position,” he said. Sardesai stated that if the CM Pramod Sawant and Mauvin Godinho fail to give a clear and categorical assurance to the people of Goa that Dabolim Airport will remain fully operational for civilian use, the Goa Forward Party will launch a Statewide agitation to protect the airport. “Goans must unite beyond politics to defend Goa’s economic lifeline. This is not merely an infrastructure issue; it is about Goa’s identity and the future of South Goa,” he said. He questioned why the State Government appears unable to resist external pressures, stating that no private operator or external authority should be al lowed to dictate decisions that undermine Goa’s interests. “If ministers themselves admit that pressure is being exerted and still fail to pro tect Goa’s interests, they must take responsibility,” Sardesai said, adding that those who cannot safeguard Goa’s rights have no moral authority to continue in office. Calling upon the Chief Minister and the ministers concerned to immediately clarify the government’s stand, Sardesai warned that silence will only strength en public suspicion. “Goans deserve the truth. If the government believes in protecting Goa, it must say clearly and unequivocally that Dabolim Airport will remain operational for the people of Goa. If not, the people of Goa will rise to defend what rightfully belongs to them,” he asserted. Taking to X, AAP National Convenor Arvind Kejriwal stated that the BJP gov ernment was planning to convert Dabolim exclusively for defence purposes. “Dabolim acts as a lifeline for South Goa. This is not acceptable to the people of Goa. We will fight to keep Dabolim continuing for civil purposes,” he said. Addressing a press conference in Margao, AAP MLA Capt Venzy Viegas alleged that efforts were under way to hand over control of the airport to corporate groups such as Adani and Ambani. He claimed that a supportive report had been prepared as part of this strategy and further alleged that Chief Minister Dr Pra mod Sawant and Transport Minister Mauvin Godinho had begun taking posi tions aligned with the plan. Viegas alleged that the BJP government was trying to favour corporate inter ests by linking Dabolim Airport with defence-related contracts associated with the two business groups. He warned that AAP would strongly oppose and defeat any such move. “We will unite all stakeholders in this sector and citizens to launch a massive agitation and overturn the government’s plan. We will soon take to the streets against this decision,” Viegas said. Senior AAP leader and Rajya Sabha MP Sanjay Singh alleged that the Cen tre was intent on privatising national assets. “The BJP government sitting at the Centre wants to sell every part of the country. It wants to bring its friends into every sector. It does not care whether unemployment keeps increasing or whether people lose their jobs. Now the same is going to happen in Goa. The Modi government is preparing to sell Dabolim Airport,” he said. “Under any circumstances, we will oppose this decision of the Modi govern ment. This decision will be opposed at every level,” he said. “This government has only one motto — to destroy Goa, be it land, paddy fields or forests. Now they are on a mission to destroy and shut South Goa’s Dabolim Airport, all this only to benefit their friends,” AAP’s State president Val miki Naik alleged.

- Advertisement -

Add as preferred source on Google

If you enjoyed reading this article, you can help support our journalism by adding OHeraldo as a preferred source.

Share This Article