GAURESH SATTARKAR
SANVORDEM: A presentation on the proposed Mirabag Bandara project was held on Saturday at the Sarvajanik Ganesh Mandal Hall in Sanvordem amid strong opposition from residents of Sanvordem, Sanguem and Curchorem, who have been protesting against the project for the past 33 days.
A large crowd gathered for the meeting, prompting the deployment of a heavy police presence to maintain law and order.
Notably, a significant number of women attended the meeting, reflecting strong participation from local families and communities. Women from several villages were present to listen to the discussion on the proposed project.
Among those present were WRD Superintending Engineer Ankush Gaonkar, Assistant Engineer Shantaram Gaonkar, Deputy Collector of Sanguem Milindra Velip, and Mamlatdar of Sanguem Siddharth Prabhu. The project presentation was delivered by SE Ankush Gaonkar.
During the session, villagers raised several questions regarding the technical aspects, environmental impact and purpose of the proposed bandara.
Protester Sanket Bhandari raised a number of technical queries related to flora and fauna, flood management and provisions for high and low tides. However, WRD officials were reportedly unable to provide clear answers to several questions, leading to dissatisfaction among those present. Villagers also pointed out that the earlier video presentation released about the project appeared different from the live presentation shown during the meeting, raising further doubts.
Villagers reiterated that they do not want the bandara project and demanded that it be scrapped. They also asked WRD officials to record their demand in a formal resolution, stating that the department had failed to provide adequate technical information due to lack of preparation and clarity.
The villagers further demanded that the two pits earlier dug by the WRD department be filled within two days, as the department had earlier given a written assurance on the matter.
Following pressure from the villagers, officials assured that the concerns raised and the resolution passed by the villagers would be forwarded to higher authorities and communicated to the government.
Speaking to the media, WRD Superintending Engineer Ankush Gaonkar said the department had presented the project keeping in mind Goa’s future requirements up to the year 2047. He said the PowerPoint presentation was meant to explain the importance of the bandara project for the state.
Gaonkar added that some of the questions raised by villagers were beyond the scope of the project and that officials were unable to answer them in detail as villagers continued raising queries during the presentation. He also stated that the department understands the concerns of local residents but faces its own challenges while implementing such projects.
He further informed that around 30 per cent of the bandara work has already been completed, with approximately Rs 50–60 crore already spent on the project so far. The resolution adopted by the villagers, he said, would be forwarded to the government after completing the necessary procedures.
However, several villagers expressed serious concern over the revelation that such a large amount of public money had already been spent while the project had not been adequately explained to the local population earlier.
Many questioned whether the expenditure indicated possible misuse of public funds, especially since proper consultations and detailed presentations had not been conducted before the work began.
Villagers alleged that no comprehensive public presentation or explanation of the project had been carried out earlier, which they say led to growing resentment among the local communities.
According to WRD officials, only the approval of the elected body of the local panchayat is required for the project. This statement also raised questions among villagers regarding the role of Mirabag area panch member Sanjay Naik. Locals questioned why residents were not properly informed or consulted before such a large project was initiated within their village jurisdiction.
Former Sanvordem MLA Deepak Pauskar said, “We do not oppose drawing water by pumping it from the Zuari River, but we strongly oppose the construction of a bandara on the river. Flooding already occurs in this region and there is a possibility of worsening conditions in the future. Although the project was described as a minor one in the presentation, in reality it is a major project. Since the Zuari experiences both low and high tides, constructing a bandara there is not suitable. The government should examine the minutes of the meeting and take a decision to scrap the project.”

