Chaos Near White House as Suspect Opens Fire, Shot Dead by Secret Service

A suspected gunman opened fire near the White House on Saturday evening before being shot dead by Secret Service agents during a dramatic exchange of gunfire that triggered panic and a heavy security lockdown in Washington DC.

The shooting happened shortly before 6 pm local time near the intersection of 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW, close to the Eisenhower Executive Office Building. According to officials, the suspect suddenly pulled a revolver from his bag and began firing near a security checkpoint outside the White House complex.

- Advertisement -

Add as preferred source on Google

If you enjoyed reading this article, you can help support our journalism by adding OHeraldo as a preferred source.

Secret Service officers stationed nearby reacted within seconds and returned fire, striking the suspect during the exchange. The man, later identified by US media as 21-year-old Nasire Best, was taken to hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Authorities also confirmed that one bystander suffered injuries during the shooting, though no Secret Service personnel or White House staff members were harmed.

US President Donald Trump was reportedly inside the White House when the gunfire broke out, but officials said presidential operations and security procedures were not affected. Trump later praised the Secret Service officers for their “swift and professional action” in neutralising the threat.

According to reports from CBS News, Best was previously known to both the Secret Service and the Metropolitan Police Department. Law enforcement sources claimed he had a documented history of mental health issues and had allegedly attempted to gain entry into the White House in July 2025 before being arrested nearby. He was later admitted to a psychiatric facility.

- Advertisement -

Panic Near White House After Gunshots

The shooting created chaos around the White House complex, especially as the area remained crowded with tourists, diners and media personnel on a weekend evening. Journalists stationed on the White House North Lawn were immediately rushed into a secure briefing room after multiple gunshots were heard nearby.

Several reporters later shared videos online showing them ducking for cover as gunshots echoed across the area. Secret Service officers were also heard shouting instructions directing everyone nearby to get indoors immediately.

Media personnel and staff members remained under lockdown for nearly 30 minutes while armed officers secured the surrounding streets and emergency responders arrived at the scene.

Investigation Underway

Authorities have launched a detailed investigation into the incident and are reviewing surveillance footage, witness statements and the suspect’s background to determine the exact sequence of events.

- Advertisement -

Road closures around the White House were expected to remain in place overnight as forensic teams continued examining the area.

The incident has once again raised concerns over security threats near the White House, coming only weeks after another shooting disrupted the White House Correspondents’ Dinner in Washington DC.

Officials, however, said the situation was quickly brought under control due to the immediate response by Secret Service agents stationed near the presidential complex.

TAGGED:
Share This Article