Joe Kent, Director of the National Counterterrorism Center in the United States, announced his resignation on Tuesday amid the ongoing conflict involving the US and Iran.
In a statement shared on social media, Kent said he could no longer support the war, claiming that Iran posed no immediate threat to the United States. “After much reflection, I have decided to resign,” he said, adding that the conflict had been driven by external pressure and did not serve American interests.
His resignation comes weeks after escalating US strikes on Iran, which have intensified tensions in the region and disrupted global trade routes, including the strategically important Strait of Hormuz.
Who is Joe Kent
Kent, a native of Oregon, has had a long career in national security and military operations. A graduate of Norwich University, he served in the US Army for nearly two decades, completing 11 combat deployments in high-risk regions. During his service, he was associated with elite units such as the 75th Ranger Regiment and Army Special Forces, earning multiple honours including six Bronze Stars.
After retiring in 2018, Kent worked as a paramilitary officer with the CIA’s Special Activities Center. In early 2025, he was appointed as the head of the National Counterterrorism Center by Donald Trump. He also made two unsuccessful attempts to enter politics, contesting elections in Washington state.
Personal loss shapes his stand
Kent’s opposition to war is deeply personal. His wife, Shannon M Kent, a Navy cryptologist, was killed in a 2019 bombing in Manbij.
He has often cited this loss as a defining moment in his life, influencing his views on military conflicts. In his resignation statement, Kent indicated that his experience of losing a loved one in war played a key role in his decision to step down, as he opposed sending more lives into what he described as an avoidable conflict

