Chirag Naik calls off fast over Margao garden row

Dr Francisco Colaco, Uday Bhembre lead citizens’ intervention; Naik alleges MMC misled public, agitation to continue

Congress leader Chirag Naik on Saturday evening called off his hunger strike at the Margao Municipal Garden after prominent Margao citizens, including Dr Francisco Colaco and Uday Bhembre, urged him to end the protest, stating that the objective of creating public awareness had been achieved and that the movement must now be taken forward by the people.

Earlier in the day, Naik had continued his fast, maintaining that he would persist with the protest in public interest. He sharpened his attack on the Margao Municipal Council (MMC), alleging that the public was being misled on the nature of the project and maintaining that the tender clearly provides for a two-storey structure within the garden.

- Advertisement -

Add as preferred source on Google

If you enjoyed reading this article, you can help support our journalism by adding OHeraldo as a preferred source.

He further alleged that MMC Chairperson Damodar Shirodkar had been put forward to misguide the public and, countering claims about proposed public facilities such as those for senior citizens, questioned whether such additions would genuinely serve public interest or instead push the commercialisation of the Margao Municipal Garden. He also flagged the continued neglect and deterioration of the garden, saying the space had been allowed to decline even as new construction was being pushed.

Calling the response from citizens encouraging, Naik said the turnout showed that people of Margao are ready to come forward to protect the city’s interests and urged residents to take the issue ahead, adding that the agitation would continue beyond the hunger strike.

The protest saw a steady stream of visitors through the day, with people across age groups and members of various Congress organisational wings turning up in support. Several citizens said they were prepared to take to the streets if the project is not scrapped, while others also came forward to voice objections and call for the proposal to be withdrawn.

Former MMC chairperson Dr Babita Angle was among those present and was part of the efforts that led to Naik ending his fast.

- Advertisement -

A significant moment during the day was the presence of Dr Francisco Colaco, a prominent citizen of Margao, who offered a strong and nuanced perspective on why the issue warranted public attention. He described the garden as the “green lung” of Margao and recalled how it was once a vibrant space used by citizens for leisure and relaxation.

Dr Colaco said he had come forward as a concerned citizen with no political motive after learning about the proposed two-storey structure within the garden. He pointed to the decline in the condition of the garden over the years, with loitering and illegal activities becoming a concern, raising issues of law and order in the area, and stressed that such public spaces must be preserved rather than altered in a way that changes their character.

Former MLA Uday Bhembre, speaking after Dr Francisco Colaco, said Margao needs more green spaces, not less, and cautioned that increasing concretisation would change the character of the garden. He recalled earlier attempts to introduce a restaurant within the space, noting that part of that structure still remains.

Bhembre said that both panchayats and municipalities often project development through construction, but questioned who truly benefits from such projects. He added that such decisions must be taken with the consent of the people and not without taking citizens into confidence, noting that the present situation had led to people coming out in protest.

- Advertisement -

Both Dr Colaco and Bhembre urged Naik to call off the fast, stating that awareness had been created and that the agitation should now move forward with wider public participation.

Naik, while ending the fast, thanked them for their guidance and reiterated that he would continue the agitation in the interest of Margao.

Meanwhile, the Goa State Infrastructure Development Corporation (GSIDC) clarified that the project does not involve a two-storey building, even as concerns continued to be raised by citizens.

Also, also earlier in the day, the Shadow Council for Margao (SCM), led by convener Savio Coutinho, also visited the site and backed the demand for transparency. Coutinho said the garden’s legacy traces back to philanthropist Abdul Javeribhai Mavany, who had opposed earlier attempts to introduce construction within the space, including a proposal in the 1960s to set up a bar and restaurant, which was eventually stopped after intervention at the highest level.

He said the garden had, over the years, suffered due to neglect and misuse when left open, leading to vandalism and illegal activities, and added that steps such as fencing had helped restore and protect the space.

Coutinho said the council had sought project details through the Right to Information route and maintained that even if a two-storey structure is denied, the extent of concretisation proposed would increase heat and affect visitor comfort.

He called for the MMC and GSIDC to suspend the tender process for the Rs 3.96 crore project until full details are placed in the public domain.

With the fast now withdrawn, the issue has moved into a wider civic phase, with citizens expected to take forward the agitation in the coming days.


Share This Article