GSPCB slaps notice on builder as cases rise

Even as diarrhoea cases contin ued to climb at the Prabhu Violetta residential com plex in Dabolim, triggering widespread concern, the Goa State Pollution Control Board (GSPCB) has issued a show-cause notice to Prab hu Realtors over serious environmental violations linked to sewage discharge. The Board has directed the builder to reply within seven days, explaining why environmental compensa tion totalling Rs 44.50 lakh and Rs 12.50 lakh should not be imposed for failing to comply with earlier di rections issued on March 25, 2025, operating with out valid consent, and run ning two sewage treatment plants (STPs) in a manner that led to environmental pollution at Prabhu Violet ta Phase I in Alto Dabolim. The action follows a March 16 inspection that revealed untreated sew age being discharged into open areas, polluting the surrounding locality. The builder has been ordered to immediately stop such discharge. According to the GSPCB, all sewage generated at the premises and collected in the two STPs — of 135 KLD and 85 KLD capacity — must be transported daily through tanker services to the PWD sewage treatment facility un til the systems are repaired, made fully functional under the Board’s supervision, and a valid consent to operate is obtained under the Water (Prevention and Control of Pol lution) Act, 1974. Laboratory analysis of effluent samples collected during the inspection, with reports submitted on Friday, showed that key pollution indicators — including Biochemical Oxy gen Demand (BOD), Chemical Oxygen Demand (COD), am moniacal nitrogen, total suspended solids, total nitrogen, and faecal coliform—were above permissible limits, con firming that the STPs were not being operated efficiently and were discharging inadequately treated waste. The crackdown comes amid a significant health scare within the residential complex, where 156 cases of diar rhoea and vomiting have been reported so far, with author ities linking the outbreak to contamination in the water supply. “The first case was detected on March 12, following which the health department initiated preventive meas ures, including water sampling and door-to-door health screening. Within a week, 55 cases were recorded, with the total rising to 156 across the complex’s five blocks, which house 328 flats. While no cases were reported from Block A, the remaining four blocks recorded multiple infections,” South Goa Collector Egna Cleetus said. An inspection by the GSPCB on March 16 found that the water treatment system at the complex was not function ing properly, leading to the mixing of contaminated water with the clean supply — believed to be the primary cause of the outbreak. Water samples from the PWD storage tank and the swimming pool tested negative, while samples from the borewell and the garden outlet were found to be contam inated. As a precautionary measure, the borewell water supply has been disconnected, and residents are being provided with safe drinking water through PWD sources and alternative arrangements. However, Health Minister Vishwajit Rane on Friday said the situation has stabilised, with no new cases reported. “A reassuring update on the situation in Dabolim. No new cases have been reported today, and the patient under care has made a full recovery and has been discharged, reflect ing the effectiveness of timely intervention and coordinat ed action,” Rane said in a post on X. He added that health teams will remain actively de ployed over the weekend to ensure continued surveillance and on-ground support. “The commitment remains unwavering: to stay vigi lant, act proactively, and ensure the safety and well-being of every citizen,” he said, crediting coordinated efforts by agencies including the Integrated Disease Surveil lance Programme (IDSP), Directorate of Health Services, Sub-District Hospital Chicalim, PHC Cortalim, the Food and Drugs Administration, and the Public Works Department. The GSPCB noted that the builder had earlier been de nied renewal of consent to operate in March 2025 and had failed to comply with multiple directives, including main taining the STPs, providing tertiary treatment, and furnish ing a bank guarantee of Rs 5 lakh. Despite notices and missing a personal hearing fol lowing complaints by the Chicalim village panchayat, the builder continued operations without valid consent, the Board said, warning of stringent legal action under the Water Act if violations persist. With regulatory action underway and the health impact already significant, authorities remain on alert as they work to prevent any fresh outbreak

Share This Article