Kerkar threatens fast over post- mortem secrecy

The mystery sur rounding the death of a tiger in Goa has deepened, with environmentalist Ra jendra Kerkar on Friday threatening to launch a fast outside the Forest De partment headquarters if the government continues to withhold the post-mor tem report. Kerkar accused the au thorities of suppressing crucial information re lating to the tiger carcass found in Dharbandora, alleging that the govern ment already possesses the autopsy findings but is deliberately avoiding mak ing them public. Kerkar told O Heraldo that the post-mortem ex amination had been con ducted by a three-member team comprising doctors from the Forest Depart ment, Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Services, and the National Tiger Conservation Authority at the Nature Interpretation Centre. “If the post-mortem ex amination report is not made public within the next two days, then I will go on a fast in front of the Van Bhavan at Altinho,” Kerkar warned, escalating pressure on the government amid growing public concern over the death of the big cat.

The threat of agitation came even as Forest Minister Vishwajit Rane later attempted to quell speculation, stat ing that the exact cause of death remains inconclusive be cause the carcass was found in an advanced stage of de composition. Rane said samples from the carcass had been collected and sent for toxicology, forensic and DNA analysis to de termine the precise cause of death. He also sought to rule out poaching. “There is no evidence of poaching, traps, bullets or snare wires found at the site,” the minister said. Meanwhile, the minister also said police were continu ing investigations into the death of a home guard who was killed in a bison attack at Bethora on Wednesday. Principal Chief Conservator of Forests Kamal Datta was also present during the briefing.

- Advertisement -

Add as preferred source on Google

If you enjoyed reading this article, you can help support our journalism by adding OHeraldo as a preferred source.

Share This Article