The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has indicated that it will take stricter action against teams breaching conduct norms during the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2026 season. Board secretary Devajit Saikia said on Saturday that the governing body is reviewing additional measures to ensure discipline and maintain the league’s image.
The statement comes after two incidents involving Rajasthan Royals drew attention. Team manager Ravinder Singh Bhinder was seen using a mobile phone near the dugout during a match, which is against league regulations. In a separate incident, captain Riyan Parag was caught vaping in the dressing room. Both cases prompted swift disciplinary action from the board.
Bhinder was fined ₹1 lakh after explaining that the breach was inadvertent and issuing an apology to the BCCI’s anti-corruption unit. Parag, meanwhile, was penalised 25% of his match fee and handed a demerit point. Despite the actions taken, the BCCI appears keen to reinforce stricter compliance across all franchises.
“We are exploring additional options to deal with teams violating norms,” Saikia said on the sidelines of India’s squad announcement for the Women’s T20 World Cup 2026 in Mumbai. He emphasised that accountability extends beyond individual players or officials to entire teams.
“It is not just players or officials. As a team, they must maintain decorum so that the image of the IPL is not adversely affected,” he added, reiterating that further action is under consideration.
Reacting to the incidents, Rajasthan Royals head coach Kumar Sangakkara said the matters had been addressed internally and with the BCCI, stressing the franchise’s commitment to maintaining a positive and professional team culture.

