VASCO: Residents of Desterro, especially those residing in Ward 6 of Mormugao Municipal Council, are up in arms against a proposed mobile tower in the locality. Agitated residents have threatened to take to the streets if MMC permits the setting up of the mobile tower in the area.
Around 100 residents, including women in large numbers, gathered near Dr Syed Hasan building at Desterro after they noticed a tempo loaded with mobile tower fittings on Wednesday evening.
“We had already informed MMC of our opposition to the mobile tower in our locality as we fear getting affected by radiation from the tower. Since they came to set up the tower despite our objection we have no option but to protest in this manner,” said local resident Daniel Fernandes.
According to MMC sources, the council had recently given a go ahead for setting up two mobile towers including the tower at Desterro.
“We are surprised as to how MMC can allow setting up towers when the local MLA Milind Naik who is a minister had refused his consent. If the MMC goes ahead with its decision then we will come out on the streets in large numbers,” said resident Sandeep Mayekar.
Vasco police rushed a team to the site to defuse the growing tension. Residents later decided to again meet MMC officials on Thursday on the issue.
